The Episcopal Community of Warwick Now Known As Christ Church
v 1804: Incorporation as St. Paul’s with Rector Frederick Van Horne. The community dissolves within the year.
v 1847-1853: Community attends St. Thomas in Vernon.
v 1853-1859: Afternoon services conducted at the Methodist Church on Church Street by the Rev. William Carter of St. Thomas, Vernon. The community incorporates as St. Paul’s.
v 1854: Property bought on Church and Main Streets.
v 1857: Footings dug but construction fails due to lack of funds and other issues.
v 1862-Services reconvene at the Methodist Church with the Rev. George Z. Gray, also of St Thomas Vernon. The community incorporates as Christ Church.
v 1864: The Rev. Nicholas Ludlum of St. Thomas, Vernon is called as Rector.
v 1865: Property is purchased on South and Second Streets and a fourth incorporation for legal safety registers us as Christ’s Church. We Continue to be known in town as Christ Church. Summer Church Fairs begin.
v 1866: The church is built and a cornerstone is laid on July 17.
v 1867: The church is consecrated by Bishop Horatio Potter.
v 1868: Rev. Ludlum resigns in July. Supply priests take over.
v 1869: The Rev. Peter Jay of St. Thomas, Vernon becomes Rector. Pew rents begin.
v 1870: The parish builds a Rectory at 5 South Street. The Ladies Guild presents the community with an organ and 16 oil lamps. Pew rents are abolished.
v 1871: Rev. Jay takes a four month leave. Rev. Dr. Tyng covers the services.
v 1872: Rev. William Townsend Early is called as Rector. A water line is run to the Rectory.
v 1873: Rev. A. Goldsborough is called as Rector. He begins also running services at two hotels in Greenwood Lake. The parish supports the building of a chapel there. Summer services continue there .
v 1876: A picket fence is installed along the back of the Church and Rectory property.
v 1880-1883: No permanent Rector. Church closed. A missionary Rector, Rev. Josephs from Hamburg works at St. Thomas, and does one wedding for us here. Most parishioners go to St. Thomas in Vernon or Grace Church in Middletown.
v 1881: The Vestry resolves to sell the Rectory, which it does for $3,000.00 to the Miller Family.
v 1883: Services resume on Wednesday, June 13 with George G. Hepburn as Rector.
v 1884: We share Rev. Hepburn with Monroe. The bishop pays part of the salary that we owe him. This financial support continues for several years.
v Rev. G. W. Timlow takes over as Rector.
v 1887: The Vestry looks for a new Rector with the aim of restarting a Sunday School. Rev. H. K. Boyer is called. He arrives in 1888.
v 1888: Rev. Boyer takes over as Rector. He is not yet ordained. He remains in service until 1889, when the Vestry loses patience over his lack of initiative to be ordained.
v 1889: John C. Fair is called as Rector. An Envelope System is instituted for subscriptions. The Rector resigns effective January 1, 1889.
v 1890: John H. L. Zilliman is called from Canada for a six month stay as Rector. Mrs. Grace Hynard is hired as organist.
v 1891: Rev. David T. Howell comes in as Lay Reader and is ordained Deacon in 1891 and Priest in 1892.The fire Department warns us that we must hang the front doors to open out.
v 1892: The Ladies’ Guild is reorganized under the leadership of Mrs. S. B. Dolsen. The Rector opens two missions; one a mile and a half from Warwick and one in Sugarloaf. About 20 children attend both of these services.
v 1893: The Vestry takes steps to build a Rectory on property adjoining the Church. The Rector is relieved of house calls so that he can gather subscriptions.
v 1894: The building committee is authorized to change the pews so that we have a large center section of seating and a small aisle on each side with shorter pews on the left and right. The Rectory is completed.
v 1895: The Rector resigns. Rev. E. V. Evans is supply. Rev. Charles Tibballs is called as Rector.
v 1897: The parish achieves independence from the Missionary Fund.
v 1899: The Rev. William M. Pickslay becomes Rector and stays for 22 years. New addition added to the back of the Rectory, which is now the acolyte room but was a bedroom for the Rev. Pickslay's daughter, Clare.
v 1900: the Ladies Guild runs fundraisers for the Fresh Air Fund.
v 1903: We give permission for a church to be erected at Sloatsburg.
v 1905: Mr. Thomas P. Fowler, railroad magnet and summer resident, pays for major renovations and repairs on the church, including the installation of electricity. The Ladies Guild reduces the debt on the Rectory by almost half.
v 1906: the Guild pays off the remaining $800.00 of debt on the Rectory.
v 1907: We carry no indebtedness from this point until 1935.
v 1908: The Rector is ill and is given leave from April until July 1.
v 1910: The Junior Guild raises money for an electric organ blower so that no one has to pump anymore.
v 1911: Weekly envelope system instituted.
v 1916: Rev. Pickslay earns his doctoral degree.
v 1919: Rev. Pickslay’s health begins to fade. Rev. J. Norton Atkins comes to help with services.
v 1920: Rev. Atkins is hired as Rector. Rev. Pickslay is made Rector Emeritus. Mrs. Hynard resigns as full time organist. Miss Diffendorf is hired.
v 1921: The Vestry begins to use the YMCA on Main Street for meetings. Elizabeth Burt’s rooms next to the Excelsior Hose Company are used for the Ladies Guild Meetings. Miss Diffendorf resigns as organist.
v 1922: The Board of Education passes a resolution in favor of cooperation in the matter of religious education (release time). Mrs. Marie Welling takes over as organist.The clerk is authorized to sign an application for the paving of South Street.
v 1923: Rev. Atkins resigns. Rev. Goodrich of Chester runs the Sunday School until Rev. Octavius Applegate arrives. A fireplace is built in the Rectory. We pay 316.00 toward the paving of South Street.
v 1924: Vestryman and railroad president Morris Rutherfurd donates a locomotive bell for the use of Good Sheppard in Greenwood Lake. We become involved in the Cathedral Campaign. We are one of only 8 parishes in the diocese listed as 100% in contributions to the Cathedral fund.
v 1925: We resign from the Cathedral Committee when pushed to raise the same amount for five years. B.F. Vail resigns as Senior Warden due to ill health but remains on the Vestry.
v 1927: The Rector’s salary is raised to 2,400.00 , the minimum salary recommended by the Bishop.
v 1929: The trusses of the church are examined and repaired. Rods are installed to prevent further sagging. A new hot air furnace is installed.
v 1930: Interrior and exterior repairs and painting done on the church .A new floor is donated for the church by Mrs. James Fuller .
v 1932: The church is redecorated. We provide seating for the State School in the gallery. Owing to the recent financial setbacks of so many, salaries are reduced by 10% and we use the interest accrued from the Endowment Fund to run the church.
v 1933: Dr. Applegate resigns. Rev. Lonsdale acts as Pro Tem rector. We rent rooms in the village for use as classrooms and meeting rooms. Lewis Webster is called as Rector. The lower floor of the Rectory is used as a Parish Hall.
v 1934: Rev. Webster is ordained. Mr. Robert Huyler takes the position as Clark after M. Rutherfurd resigns. .
v 1935: Morris Rutherfurd becomes Senior Warden. A safe is procured for the record book and communion plate.
v 1936: the women of Christ Church sign a petition to be given the right to vote in parish elections. Rev. Webster resigns to study law.
v 1937:Rev. Daniels is called as Rector. We pay the Rector rent to continue to use the first floor of the Rectory. F.F. Wildrick resigns as Junior Warden after 40 years. W. H. Sayer takes his place and Thomas Welling fills the space on the Vestry.The first plans are drawn up for a Parish House but the project is postponed. The Rector organizes a boys’ choir of 14. The 7:30 AM Communion Service is changed to 9:30 to accommodate the children.
v 1938: Rev. Pickslay , Rector Emeritus, dies.
v 1939: Rev. Daniels resigns and returns to England to keep his citizenship. Ushers are recruited to be used each Sunday. We must again find rooms in town for our activities.
v 1940: Rev. Wickersham is called as Rector. A pulpit is built and installed. It is the first in 73 years. The back room of the Rectory is used as a kindergarten. It is difficult to find teachers and children for Sunday School.
v 1941: The Rector resigns to take charge of Greenwood Lake. Rev. Oliver Carberry, a previous supply for us, is chosen as Rector.
v 1942: The Drew Home, next door to the church becomes our new Parish House.Mid week services, and a men’s club are started . We send photo albums to our Warwick men overseas. The Rector starts missionary work among the “colored population”.
v 1946: Rev. Edward R. Taft takes over as Rector.
v 1947: We borrow money from a parishioner and start work on the Cloister. (present Sacristy room connecting the Rectory and the Church)
v 1948: Mrs. Grace Hynard retires as organist. We sent aside a retirement fund for her. The first Assistant Treasurer, William Crigar is elected. The Vestry assumes the cost of heating the Rectory.
v 1949: The 1870 organ can no longer be repaired. The gingerbread trim and tower on the church are repaired.
v 1950: An old stove and boiler are replaced with a radiator in the P.H. kitchen. The Rector is given permission to put a T.V. antenna on top of the Rectory. Both women’s guilds take over the refurbishing of the Rectory.
v 1951: A second hand organ is given to us by the Church of the Holy Comforter in N. Y.C. and reconditioned and dedicated to Grace Hynard. A new door and organ curtain are hung in the area around the organ. Rev. Gerald Rubino takes Rev. Taft’s place as Rector.
v 1952: The Guild buys a mimeo machine from the former Rector. We subscribe to church magazines to be sent to the local library. A bequest gives us a new roof for the whole church. Junior members of the parish are invited to Vestry Meetings. A lot is arranged at the back of the P.H. for the parking of cars.
v 1953: Plans are made for a centennial celebration, basing our starting date at 1954 since the existence of the St. Paul’s community was not known. The Guild buys 72 chairs for the P.H. and sends many donations to various missions.
v 1954: A centennial celebration takes place. The Lectern and Altar Rail are refinished. The Vestrymen are asked to show up at Sunday School to emphasize its importance.
v 1955: It is decided to replace the old windows from 1866 with new designs. The barn behind the church/P.H. and a tree are removed to improve parking. We rent out the second floor of the P.H. to a resident other than the Sexton.
v 1956: Work on the church windows begins. Luther Studios have been contracted. The church steeple is hit by lighting. Various heating systems in the plant are replaced or adjusted. The Guild pays for a salary for a chaplain for the migrant workers.
v 1959: the guild joins the National Council. The first woman Treasurer is elected, Ruth Van Strander. Rev. Leonel Mitchell becomes Rector when Fr. Rubino moves to Maine. We move from the 1866 record book, to a new one. We begin to send out a monthly newsletter. The Rector decided that he will choose all music for the services. We post the hours of worship outside the church.
v 1960: We blacktop the parking lot. We purchase church welcome signs for the access roads to the village. We emphasize tithing as a means of support.
v 1961: Ruth Van Strander is elected as the first women Treasurer. A planning committee is formed to discuss a new Parish House. We install a locked cabinet in the Sacristy.
v 1962: Health insurance will be purchased for succeeding Rectors and their families
v 1963: Neilson Construction wins the contract to build a new P.H.
v 1964: Deeds to the P.H. show founder J. M. McJimsey as the first owner of the property. The new P. H. is built. The Rector resigns. The Rev. Francis Park is Interim. Father John Anderson of Peekskill is the new Rector.
v 1965: The Guilds run a monthly coffee hour. A major argument ensues over giving to the missions when we cannot pay our own bills and over how we decide what groups get to use the P. H. Several threaten to leave the parish.
v 1966: Choir pews are moved to the balcony and the junior choir prospers. We hire a part time secretary.
v 1967: The Thrift Shop is started by the Buchanan family. A new Protestant Chaplaincy is started at St. Anthony’s.
v 1968:Finances continue to be a concern.
v 1969: We need help with the Rector’s salary from the diocese. Thrift Shop profits are turned over to the church for the payment of bills . Church school is switched back to Sundays. Concerns over drugs and our youth cause us to go to the Ecumenical Council for help.
v 1970: Father Anderson resigns. We begin to wonder if a shared ministry situation would be more affordable. The parish will not consider it.
v 1971: Good Sheppard has to confirm our youth while we are without a Rector. A Folk Mass receives good response. A nursery school runs 3 days a week in the P.H. Father Raymond Harbort becomes Rector. A current issue is the ordination of women which the Rector is very much against.
v 1972: An 18th century, hand carved tabernacle is purchased. An antique mantel is donated for the Rectory fireplace.
v 1973: Parking continues to be a problem.
v 1974: Major issues are, getting men more involved, support for the young people and adult education.
v 1975: A fire is set in the P.H. Fire doors protect the church. The altar rail is moved forward. Father Harbort covers Chester. The Eucharistic service is changed from 11:00 to 9:30.
v 1976: We share Rev. Harbort with St. Paul’s in Chester and change our main service to 9:30 A. M. The organ moves to the gallery.
v 1977: The Baptistry Chapel is formed by adding a walled arch.
v 1978: The mortgage on the P. H. is paid off. An 1866 window in the chapel is sold to make room for a new one.
v 1979: Children begin to receive communion before confirmation.
v 1980: Saturday evening folk service is discontinued. The Christmas pageant becomes part of the Christmas Eve Service. Some parishioners ask that the Morning Prayer Ritual be added to The Sunday Service.
v 1981: A policy calling for Baptisms only five times a year is instituted. A courtyard garden is built between the Rectory and the church. Joyce Clark becomes Church Archivist. Four Persian rugs are stolen from the church. Organist Debbie White Drew takes a leave and is replaced by Amy Lawler.
v 1982: Tuesday Evening Eucharists are canceled for the summer. For the first time we cover the pastor with disability insurance. Paying for heating fuel is a concern.
v 1983: Parishioners request more use of incense. Father Harbort is the first here to make a Cursillo. 18 replacement pews are purchased and the old gothics are removed. A Foot Pace is added under the altar which faces the wall. The Youth group goes out of existence.
v 1984: We raise the Rector’s salary to 16,900.00 as per a director from the Bishop to all parishes. A Thanksgiving Dinner for the parish is revived.
v 1985: We chose working with the elderly at Orange Farms as a community outreach project.
v 1986: All area churches feel the effects of a downturn in the economy. Ruth VanStrander , Treasurer of 20 years is honored. Father Harbort tries a free standing altar with very little feedback from the parishioners. We send church info. To the local realtors. Our motto becomes “To know Christ and make Him Known”. We resolve to make our youth more a part of the church.
v 1987: We commemorate the 120th anniversary of the dedication of the church.
v 1988: We accept a loan from the Diocese for aluminum siding on the church. Father Harbort leaves and a Search Committee begins work .Bishop Elisse uses the Rectory as a summer retreat for his family. Two female Lay Ministers arrange for the sick to have visitation and the sacraments at home. Rose Mc Dougall starts a prayer and bible study group. Father Newquist is supply from September to November.
v 1989: Father Kelsey becomes Rector. Evangelism and Caring Hands Outreach group is formed. The Altar is turned for the second time and the top of it is removed and the tabernacle is moved to the chapel. The Christ Church guild is disbanded and St. Margaret’s guild continues. A computer program is purchased to track membership. The office and Rectory get “Call Waiting”.
v 1990 Healing Services are held every Wednesday. Our youth decide to form a Teen Class for after Confirmation. We send out 140 Thanksgiving baskets to needy families.
v 1991: The organ we received in 1951 begins to fall apart. Father Johnson rents our upper room as counseling space. We start to have three services on Sundays.
v 1992: the 125th Anniversary Committee begins work. A new organ is installed and dedicated. Father Kelsey resigns. We begin self study. Another nursery school is set up in a classroom.
v 1993: A sound mixer is installed. Rev. Mark Cyr is called as Rector.
v 1994: Sexual misconduct concerns for all parishes are addressed by a workshop for the staff. A survey has indicated that we want to be a Pastoral Church and not a Program Church.
v 1995: We speak up and support the migrant workers for the sake of those in our community. Handicapped ramps are installed around the property. Planned Giving brochures outline our new program.
v 1996: Care Team reinvents itself. We rely a lot on our photocopier and computers. Organ chimes are installed. Family structures that are crumbling due to cultural changes are the focus of our outreach. We raise money to send the volunteers that assisted the Oklahoma City bombing victims, so that they can return for the memorial.
v 1997: Children’s Choir and Church School coordinate. We allow our P. H. to be used as an immunization clinic and as a distribution site for the W.I. C. program. A Columbarium committee begins work. We build handicapped access ramps.
v 1998: Gay and Lesbian couples begin to inquire about membership here. A Mutual Ministry Review takes place. We begin to see fundraising as broader than just the Summer Fair.
v 1999: We use 45% of our investment income to help cover a $6,300 shortfall. 10th Anniversary of the Care Team Ministry. Annual meeting changed to the first Sunday in February. Christ church writes a mission statement. ChurchMouse computer program purchased. Handicap ramp installed.
v 2000: We end 1999 $847 under budget. Historical style outdoor lamps purchased for the walkways. We receive $1,500 grant from Senator Morahan for moveable walls in the PH. Rev. Cyr resigns effective 11/26. Mission statement written and adopted. Rev. Ralph Peterson starts as interim Pastor on 12/17.
v 2001: Rector's office moved from the "Upper Room" to the last office on the right of the PH hallway, closest to the church. "Pastoral Search Committee" formed. Church Sunday bulletin format changed and kids bulletin discontinued. A nursery is established for babies and toddlers and a Nursery school class is established for ages 3-7 which has the children leaving the service after the Gospel reading. Job descriptions are made up for each leadership role and placed in a policy manual along with directived for conflict management, and nominating committees. A refurbished Rectory including major changes to the kitchen is dedicated on All Saints Day.
v 2002- Father Scott Barker joins us from Omaha Nebraska. Video Ministry broadcasts the sermons on the Website.
v 2003-A third service is added. A Columbarium is purchased. The youth begin to help lead worship. Candace Sandfort becomes the first woman that we sponsor for the priest hood. We begin to broadcast our own T.V.show.
v 2004- Jubilate children’s choir is formulated. The rose window is repaired. Electrical upgrades are done to support growing video work. Finding of a time capsule from 1866 buried under the church.
v 2005-Contemporary music added to the middle service. Vintage stained glass window is removed from behind the altar for restoration. Cottage meetings are a way to solicit pledges.
v 2006- A new time capsule is interred in November. A lobster bake replaces the spring tea as a fundraiser. Youth Mission goes to City Island. Thomas Joyner is our summer seminarian.
v 2007- A parent resource room is set up. Shannah Whitney starts the journey towards the priesthood. We begin the search for an assistant priest. We are growing and a new committee tries to find ways to add more seating. David Crone becomes the new Choir Director. Robyn Barnes becomes the summer seminarian. The youth take a mission trip to Mexico.
v 2008- Summer intern , Jeremy Voght joins us. Opera concert organized to raise money for Jubilate. A fall party commemorates organist Debbie Schofield’s 40th anniversary in service. The website achieves over 600 hits in one week. Energy saving thermostats are installed.
v 2009- Mother Suzanne Wille joins the staff as assistant priest.
v 2010- Apse of the church is repaired and restored and painted in shades of gold. Work progresses toward the hanging of the restored 1866 window of Christ icons. Upon this Rock, the church history book, is published. Father Scott Barker does a sabbatical on the trail of Santiago de Compostela in Spain.
v 2011- Fr. Scott is elected the Bishop of Nebraska in June and leaves us to take his post the end of August. Mo. Suzanne is appointed our Interim Priest.
v 2012- Mo. Suzanne leaves the end of August to take a position as Rector in Indiana. Vestry hires Fr. Jim Erwin as our new Rector. In November the floors of the church are repaired, sanded and finished. New carpeting is laid in the center and back aisles. The Sacristy vesting area is rebuilt. The offices move from the Rectory back to the Parish house and the bathroom in the Rectory is rebuilt. Fr. Jim arrives in late November.